17th Berlin Roundtables on Transnationality, June 26 – 29, 2013
Travel and Museums: Rethinking the Modern Experience
Please Note: Deadline for Submissions is February 28, 2013.
Based on an international essay competition, we will invite approximately 30 candidates to discuss their research, concerns and agendas with peers and prominent scholars in Berlin. The competition is open to students and scholars (post doctoral candidates must have completed a Ph.D. within the previous 5 years), journalists and practitioners interested in museum and tourism issues (e.g. curators, travel guides). The Irmgard Coninx Foundation will cover travel to and accommodation in Berlin.
Conference papers can address—but are not limited to—the following topics:
– Visitors, motivation, and habitus
– Post-industrial modes of production
– Urban/regional renewal
– Actors and institutions
– Ethics of sightseeing and the tourist gaze
– Knowledge production and dissemination
– Globalized cultures of consumption
– Mobility patterns
– Collective and individual identity
– (Post)-colonialism; Orientalism
– Historical trajectories of cultural practice
– Types of travel, e.g. heritage tourism, pilgrimage, eco-tourism
– Types of exhibition spaces, e.g. museums, gardens, zoos, fairs
Discussions will take place in two workshops chaired by Anne Gorsuch (University of British Columbia), Dean MacCannell (University of California, Davis), and Sharon Macdonald (York University).
Conference participants are eligible to apply for one of two fellowships (each of three months duration) to be used for research in Berlin at the WZB.
Further information on the conference and the background paper is available at:
Irmgard Coninx Stiftung
c/o Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin